Home

About

Services

Contact

A History Of Sound Advice

Concanon & Meagher is one of the oldest surviving legal practices in the West of Ireland. The firm, originally known as Concanon Co., was established by Edmund Concanon in 1838.

“Mun” - as he was affectionately known - was a pioneer of the pre-Victorian age, and, in his dual role, as Town Commissioner and Member of the Board of Guardians, he strove to ensure his hometown’s status as one of the central cities of the West of Ireland. His obituary in the Tuam Herald on the 26th October 1902 – noted that “as an Advocate, Mun had almost unique powers”.

“As a Cross-Examiner, [he] could worry the truth or the lie out of the reluctant lips of a recalcitrant Witness. Nay, even the present writer recollects that for four hours he held forth with argument, humour and wit of his own particular style till the jury was given in favour of his client”.

After Mun’s death - at the advanced age of 86 - his son, Henry Concanon, took over the family firm during the rough and tumble years at the start of the last century.

Henry practiced as a solicitor for fifty years- “from the earliest possible moment (Tuam Herald, 22nd February, l930) he qualified”- till almost the day of his death at the age of 72.

His career included the role of defence solicitor in the high profile Maamtrasna Murders case of 1882. Here, against the powerful forces of the Crown, he had a hand in obtaining justice for the men wrongfully charged with the crimes.

His Obituary noted that, though by tradition he was associated with landowners, nevertheless Henry “was always a friend of the farmers, and took an interest in their progress”. Like his father, Henry had a great sense of civil pride and did all he could to improve his home town: " In Tuam, anything promoted for the good of the town and its' citizens had his support. Henry was a man of great geniality, hospitality and generosity, and he will be sadly missed by all classes, and especially the poor, to whom he was a kind friend at all times”. (Tuam Herald).

With no family of his own Henry apprenticed William J. V. Comerford into the practice.

Frank B. Meagher subsequently joined “Bill” Comerford, as partner having qualified in 1931.

Concanon & Meagher, as it is known today, was founded on the pillars of integrity and loyalty as demonstrated by it's founding Principal Frank B. Meagher. "Frank B." promoted a thorough and caring work ethic that was to see him earn the respect of all clients he encountered.

A.J. O’Doherty joined the practice in 1974.